November 20, 2019
Disturbing statistics are emerging from Parry Sound in advance of National Housing DayNovember 22, a day in which the community recognizes the need for safe, affordable place to call home.
- Up to 16 years on the waitlist for a single individual to obtain social housing (rent-geared-to-income) unit in the Town of Parry Sound and up to seven years on the east side of the District for families.
- A 1 per cent vacancy rate among the private rental market leading to high rental costs compared to average income and a necessity among renters to accept sub-par units due to the limited housing stock
- 17 per cent of the district homelessness involved children
- 47 per cent of homeless struggle with addictions
- 56 per cent have mental health challenges