Although MacLeod insists she’s done “some fantastic work for Ontario’s most vulnerable,” Ontario’s most vulnerable might have a different take.

Here’s a round up of Macleod’s legacy as Doug Ford’s social services minister:

1. Cutting a planned increase in Ontario Works and ODSP rates in half

2. Increasing costs for parents with autism by up to $80,000 per year

3. Planning half a billion in OW and ODSP cuts

4. Gutting food assistance for refugee kids

What follows are my experiences as a low-income and recently homeless Torontonian struggling to secure and maintain stable and affordable housing.

To that end, I’ll be mostly critical of the policies of the following agencies and programs: Toronto Employment and Social Services (TESS), which administers the Transitional Housing Assistance Program and the Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF); Ontario Works/Ontario Disability Support Program, which provides a maximum accommodation allowance of $495 per month; the Personal Needs Allowance, a former OW-related program that provided $27 per week to shelter clients; and the Community Start-Up Program (C-SUP), a former housing support program administered directly by OW/ODSP.

While the B.C. Supreme Court has ruled a complete ban on overnight sheltering in parks violates the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, it is still possible to forbid homeless camps on a site-by-site basis, one B.C. community has determined.

In Langley City, a second site is about to become off-limits, with overnight camping banned in Rotary Centennial Park off 208th Street and Fraser Highway.

A proposed ban was given preliminary approval by council during their June 10 meeting, who passed it unanimously with no discussion.

Their tactics may be controversial but protesters who rallied in Port Coquitlam and Coquitlam last week in support of local homeless people are raising issues that need to be addressed.

Every person counts and while the Tri-Cities may have a relatively small number of homeless people — compared to other cities, such as Surrey, Langley and Vancouver, which have two to 10 times the number of people without homes, according to the 2017 count — it’s still important to meet their complex needs.

Over the last several months the Steering Committee for PFIB has been wrestling with what to do next to contribute to the work that needs to be done now in the current political, economic and social environment. We have made the difficult decision that PFIB is not the vehicle for our commitment to building power and changing the thinking, policies and programs that another regressive and oppressive government is forcing on people throughout Ontario.

We are going to wrap up PFIB.

The Saint Lawrence Centre will continue to search for a new home after announcing it would not be able to move into its prospective location.

The centre had partnered with Northreach—previously known as HIV North— to submit an application with the city in order to occupy the former Rising Above Furniture Store.

In a Facebook post, Project Lead Jared Gossen explained that this was no longer possible due to “significant fears from surrounding businesses.”

A Port Coquitlam homeless man says police and bylaw officers routinely seize his belongings and are trying to push people like him out of the community.

Ross Brydon has lived on the streets for more than 15 years and currently resides in a tent along the Coquitlam River. He said it is not uncommon for homeless people like him to return to their camps to find all of their possessions gone and a card for 1-800-GOT-JUNK left behind.

“I don’t understand the thinking behind it,” he said. “Where does it help to take someone’s possessions? Anyone that hopes to assimilate back into society, they are not going to do it by having bylaws [officers] seize their belongings.”